POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV Debugging : Re: POV Debugging Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Debugging
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Mar 2002 12:13:28
Message: <3c8b9438@news.povray.org>
In article <3c8b8c4c$1@news.povray.org> , "pcb" <pcb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>  Now (because I'm stupid) maybe you can tell me how to monitor a variable

Now, maybe you should check the manual of your IDE?  In Microsoft Visual
Studio, the default compiler for POV-Ray you should have a tool palette you
can open for this...

If you are asking how to get the output of a variable declared in a POV-Ray
scene file (a question for this is the complete wrong group btw), you do it
like this:

  #declare foo = 1;
  #debug str(foo, 0, 0) // prints value of "foo"

Of course, this example expects that you have not turned the output of the
debug stream off.

> and insert a break point plus maybe skip a procedure?

I am not really sure what you are talking about.  I am not aware of any
"procedure" in POV-Ray.  Assuming you are referring to macros, here is an
example how to use both, straight from the docs:

  // Define the macro.  Parameters are:
  //   T:  Middle value of time
  //   T1: Initial time
  //   T2: Final time
  //   P1: Initial position (may be float, vector or color)
  //   P2: Final position (may be float, vector or color)
  //   Result is a value between P1 and P2 in the same proportion
  //    as T is between T1 and T2.
  #macro Interpolate(T,T1,T2,P1,P2)
     (P1+(T1+T/(T2-T1))*(P2-P1))
  #end

  sphere{
    Interpolate(I,0,15,<2,3,4>,<9,8,7>),  //center location is vector
    Interpolate(I,0,15,3.0,5.5)           //radius is float
    pigment {
      color Interpolate(I,0,15,rgb<1,1,0>,rgb<0,1,1>)
    }
  }

As for "break point", I am not really sure what break points have to do with
the POV-Ray scene description language and I don't get what you are up to.

If all this did not help you, I would recommend to post in povray.newusers and
maybe include a small example (in the body of the message, _not_ as
attachment) showing your problem.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg